24 July 2009

Hey! I Want My Summer Back!!!

Each early Spring I have this fantasy that the summer will be spent with lots of grilling out, family swimming in the pool, quiet evenings on the deck and in general just enjoying the season. However, it seems the past two summers have flown by and I'm left wondering what happened. Between the baseball schedules & now starting next week the football schedules
along with JMac's band rehearsal schedule plus other miscellaneous things there never seems to be anytime for simply enjoying life.

Last year I did well with just going with the flow of things and although this summer I am doing the same I am reflecting more. On the nights when I finally crawl in bed and if I don't immediately fall asleep due to exhaustion I have laid there thinking about how short life is and how time seems to be slipping through the hourglass quicker than I am realizing it. I don't necessarily need it to slow down as much as I just want the time to enjoy it.

It hasn't helped that we have had one of the coolest & wet summers on record either. Seems like the days we don't have anything planned on the calendar and I think we can enjoy a day of pool time, family games of badmittin and grilling out it is either raining cats & dogs or it is so cool out nobody wants to be outside.

Then there is the fact that school starts August 13th! Yes, that is what I said August 13th!!! Seriously?!? Now I hate to do the whole 'back when I was a kid' thing, but I do honestly think it would be better if the kids stayed in school until Memorial Day and then didn't go back until Labor Day. Why? Well simply...summer. May can typically be cool enough that it's too cold to swim etc and yet August is typically one of the hottest months for us. I really can't say when this trend began of the school schedule being what it is, but I am honestly left wondering....what happened to my summer?!?

Photobucket



No comments:

Post a Comment